We arranged a container to be placed in our driveway. It's not from PODS; it's from United-Mayflower, and seemed to be of superior quality while being less expensive that PODS. Clearly, the container is meant to be stacked several high, judging from the corner posts.
It's about 1000 cubic feet of space. We spent all day Saturday trying to fill it. Michelle took the lead on the 3-D Tetris problem. The rest of us schlepped boxes and furniture and loaded boxes (sometimes of specific, requested sizes). The end of Saturday found it with something on the order of 75 cubic feet to go. Sunday afternoon was occupied with getting that down to 20 or so (number chosen more for illustrative value than objective accuracy).
Sunday morning was occupied by the formal inspection of the new place. No red flags rose, but, unsurprisingly, there are a couple of items that need prompt, professional attention. The crawl space is quite muddy; we'll want to get that dried out and properly treated promptly. It's probably been that way for quite some time, but all the same. Also, the furnace in the garage/apartment is shot. The inspector could see a crack in the heat exchanger (parted seam), so it's time for a new one. It's old enough to be not astonishing. We found that the house has a high-efficiency gas furnace. The "flue" pipe is PVC (and it has an air intake outside as well). If you look at the pictures of the rear corner of the house, you will see two PVC pipes sticking out of the roof that don't look right for sewer vents. They are the furnace intake and outflow. We also found that the electrical service is suitably heavied-up and does not need work. There are wrinkles, including open grounds on some outlets, but nothing ZOMG!
We were figuring on dropping a moderate chunk of change on repairs; we now know where it will be spent first.
We won't do near that justice to the second box, but we will need it for the stationary shop tools and tables and whatever else we can wedge in there. Hmmm...maybe we have the second box be the last minute thing that we have moved to the new location for immediate unloading. We also have the trailer to load up with stuff.
I'd like to thank lowen_kind (from LJ) for coming down to help out. Kurt and Michelle and Topher; Craig and Elizabeth and Patty for helping out as they were each able. Finally, I'd like to thank Evan and Sallie for spending the whole weekend helping out. We could not have gotten the work done without all of their various contributions.
Moving forward, I need to finish up in the shop (which is now mostly lumber and heavier tools and equipment) and we have stuff in the garage.
I'm expecting to get another bin in place for this next weekend, and a few strong backs will be welcome.
Moving farther forward, we are supposed to take possession of the new house on 28 October. We plan an orgy of carpet removal for Friday evening before we get too much stuff inside. There will probably be the ritual replacement of hardware on the doors. We aim to paint a couple of bedrooms immediately so we can settle in to them before we disgorge too much stuff from storage bins. I don't expect to get too carried away with unloading until the first weekend in November.
Oh, yeah, I need to call the various utilities and get things changed. For better or worse, we don't change water, gas, electric, or phone companies. Just new addresses.This entry was originally posted at http://herveus.dreamwidth.org/105659.html. Please comment there using OpenID.